Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Dr. Visits

Over the past couple of years I have been to the doctor so much I was beginning to think I was a hypochondriac. From joint pains, body aches, fatigue, insomnia, racing heart, stomach issues, stomach pains, ovary pains, and migraines, I truly did think I was going crazy, as well did my primary physicians. They tried on numerous occasions to put me on anti-depressants among numerous other medications. I hate taking medicine, not because I can't swallow pills, but because they usually make me feel worse than I did in the first place. Then low and behold my sister suggested it was fibromyalgia, now mind you I really did not know the first thing about it so I started the typical Internet google search (by the way they call me the "Google Queen" and I will hold that title with pride). Sure enough nearly ever symptom listed I have had at one time or another, so then went my quest to search for a Doctor.

I got lucky, better than lucky, this guy is close by, is a rhuematologist (did I mention I was diagnosed at age thirty with arthritis?) and specializes in fibromyalgia! He has written numerous books on both subjects and developed a very specific diet to treat both (did I mention I was fat too)! The greatest thing is he does research too!! Oh and takes my insurance!

So my first appointment was basically going over all my years upon years of medical history and surgeries (this guy is thorough) and then he checked the 18 pain trigger points. This man knew what he was doing because every point I thought I was going to cry and I am not a cry er and have one of the highest pain thresholds of anyone I know (ex. having a baby through natural childbirth which resulted in tearing so bad I had to have reconstructive surgery later and after the birth I was ready to get up and take a shower). So after the exam he did not say yes or no to the fibromyalgia, because he first wanted to get x-rays and blood work to rule out other things :) I did say he was thorough. But here is the best part, he gave me (yes gave me, did not charge) two of his books that sell for 16.99 on Amazon. Then sent me an e-book as a gift from amazon as well. He suggested I start on the diet and come in once a week for weight-ins and a B-12 shot. These appointments only cost a whopping $20!! The going rate for weight management in this area is $60-80.

So today was actually my second appointment nothing major to write, only saw the nurse for shot and scale and BP check. But the good news is I lost a pound or two!! She did not have my record because he was doing progress notes.

So from this day on I will try and make it to post something along the way and keep you updated on my choices and changes in order to live a healthier life.

2 comments:

  1. Hoorah to you for finding out what was wrong ! The power of Google ! I have found out multiple times problems that the doctor has missed by googling the symptoms. It should be mandatory for doctor's to web search things and save a whole lot of repeat visits. Good luck on your road to recovery !!

    http://myfroley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed I get that their job can be a bit overwelming given the multitude of patients they see but five minute before you walk in a door is not anough time for reviewing a record! I wish I could afford one of those docs who have limited patients but much time :)

      Delete